Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rights & Responsibilities

Parker's birthday is going to fall on one of the days that he is going to be out of town - so it would make sense that he would want to celebrate it before he left, right? I would think so.

Here's the thing...as far as he thinks I know, he hasn't planned anything.

He has an older brother who lives here that he told me he doesn't see very often since they are so different. (His brother is very "Hollywood" and he, as we know, is a teacher). I told him I thought that was kind of sad (he said it really disappoints his mom too - SIDE NOTE: opportunity for future Brownie Points with Parker's mom if I get them to spend more time together :-), but that they have been better lately and have seen each other at least once a month recently and that "I am going to see him again next week at my..." and then he trailed of and said "I mean, I am going to see him before I leave."

So, what do I think he was going to say? I think he was going to say, "...at my Birthday Party." And that meant 1) That I am clearly not invited and 2) That he was lying to me about it.

But that was our second date - and since then we have talked every day - we say good morning and goodnight to each other, have been out 2 more times, have gotten naked, are going to again tonight ;-), and you should see the drunk texts I got from him this weekend...so you would think things might have changed.

But they haven't, and the birthday party evidence keeps piling up...

He originally told me he was going to a birthday dinner with his brother and his wife tonight and then his "buddies" were going to take him out tomorrow. So he planned to come over tonight after dinner, because he really wanted to see me before he left (he didn't invite me to dinner, obviously). So making casual conversation last night, I asked them where they were going to dinner and he told me he canceled because it was his friend's birthday and he had to go to that instead. Excuse me, what? I was totally willing to play second fiddle to brother and I also understood why it would be weird if I was included in dinner, but why am I waiting around for you to go to a birthday party? And why can't I go with you to that?

So I asked him if his brother and his wife were upset that he canceled and he said no, he was just going to see them the next night. I asked, "Oh, I thought that was boys night." And he said, "Oh... they're just going to stop by for a bit." Yeah, they.

And that's when I knew for sure - "Boys night" is not boys night it's his plain ol' birthday party. (As I originally suspected). I actually don't think he was ever planning to go to a separate dinner with his brother - I think he just freaked out and had to tell me something and then had to revise his lie later. I'm not even mad, I just feel sad and a little stupid. I also feel even worse because I had planned a little something for him tonight and now I am not sure what I should do...I don't want to put myself out there any more that I already have.

I mean, it sucks to not be included. But it sucks even more to be lied to. (I will say, that knowing Parker, I don't think he is lying to be malicious, I think he is lying to protect my feelings...but I'm not dumb and figured out that he's having a party and that hurts - plus he has a billion friends, I can't imagine them letting him get away with not celebrating). I think I would feel less bad if he just told me about it and explained why he decided not to invite me - like maybe his ex is hosting and it would make her feel uncomfortable. As annoying as that would be, at least that would make sense. Or maybe he just thinks it's too soon; that would sting a little but at least it would be honest and then I would know for sure where I stand.

What do y'all think? Do I have a right to be upset about not being invited to his party? And if I'm not even included in his birthday plans should I take on the responsibility of making our own little celebration or should I forget to give him the present I bought?

I think I am just going to ask him about it tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment