Thursday, July 18, 2013

Catfishing

Do y'all watch that show on MTV about the people who fall in love over the internet or via text but have never met the person in real life? You've at least heard of it right? Hopefully you've at least heard of Manti Te'o...

Well the story usually ends up the same - one person keeps making up excuses for why they can't meet up or facetime (not everyone in the world can afford and iPhone, I know) or whatever else would confirm their identity in some way and when they eventually do meet - they find out they've been using a fake identity the whole time and the other party is emotionally crushed.

Now, I usually think to myelf, what an idiot! How could they have possibly developed such strong feelings for someone just through IMing and text? Are they really trying to convince me they are broken-hearted right now?

Here's the thing though - since Parker has been gone, we have been talking every day, at least twice sometimes three times a day through a messenger app, or Facebook - and I honestly can say my feelings are getting so much stronger for him every time we talk. It's as if the distance between us is forcing us to really get to know each other by talking instead of falling into the sex haze which is what usually happens at this point in a good relationship.

Even though ours is very different than a typical catfishing situation - namely because we've already met - I think I might understand how you can fall for someone in cyberspace and develop real feelings.

It sounds weird to say, but even with Parker practically on the other side of the world, I feel like our relationship has still been moving forward - and so have our feelings. We had an amazing conversation this morning that made me feel the closest to him than I have felt since we met; physically he is the furthest away he has been since we met. I think that's pretty cool.

PS - If you didn't see this week's episode of Catfish on MTV, it is a MUST WATCH even if you have never seen the show before. (Click Here to see it).

No comments:

Post a Comment